States I've Visited

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Which Came First...


No, not the chicken or the egg. We all know the answer to that one!

I'm talking about the yarn and the pattern/project. Which comes first for you? Or, does it vary?

My madness goes something like this:

I almost always pick the yarn. Or, should I say, the yarn picks me.

Typically, I walk around in the LYS just browsing all the yarn candy. It should come as no surprise that when I was very young, my mother would have to constantly remind me not to touch things when we were in a store as I LOVE to reach out and "pet" the yarn (if I may coin a phrase from Claire). Once a color or fiber jumps out at me, I take it home (usually one skein initially) and look at, touch it some more, maybe swatch it, until I come across a pattern that just screams for this particular yarn and THEN I have to go back to the LYS and HOPE there is more!

Sometimes, I find a yarn that I like so much, I'll actually buy three skeins and then go home, drag out all my magazines, books and search online patterns until I find something in which to use the yarn!! Then I have to go back to the LYS and buy two more skiens. Or five.

Only occasionally will I find a pattern first. I don't like this sequence, because then it becomes somewhat of a chore to find a yarn (you just simply can't use the yarn specified in the pattern, you know) and I'm afraid of making the wrong yarn choice; as if I can't frog it!!!!

So, in my world (and it's ok because they know me here), the yarn comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment