States I've Visited

Saturday, March 19, 2011

GENESIS! Life Begins on the Balcony

It's such a small start, but I feel SO energized!!! My east-, southeast-facing balcony (pics and dimensions to come later) was as bare as a bone in the Arizona dessert prior to today. And now, although it's still rightly bare, there are at least signs of life!

I potted up a small (2 qt) strawberry terra cotta pot with 5 strawberry plants (Sequoia, Ozark Beauty, Quinalt and one "unknown"). I shamefully admit that all plants/seeds for the initial round were purchased at a big box that is to remain nameless. I need to find/settle on a LGC (local garden center). I've decided to adopt the vernacular from the yarn community in that we refer to LYS' (local yarn shops) that we prefer over big box stores.

In addition to the strawberries, I transplanted german chamomile (x2) in a rectangular planter that my DH cable-tied to the balcony. Sugar snap peas are soaking now and I'll plant three in the same planter with the chamomile. I sure don't remember my Daddy soaking peas before he planted them. I'll have to ask him...

For a "late" planting of tomatoes, I started orangic yellow pear seeds in the windowsill (again I shamefully admit that I purchased a seed starter). I will pick up some slips at Whole Foods and/or a LGC soon. I know it's only March, so I don't want to rush it and put the tomatoes out too soon. We are, after all, expecting 30 degree weather on Thursday.

The last thing for the day was a potted Rosemary that should be very happy for a couple of years in the container in which it came home.

Admittedly, I did not plan this heretofore. All decisions were made yesterday and plants/supplies were purchased yesterday!!! The remainder of the year will be planned using an online garden planner: growveg.com, which I cannot recommend highly enough. Well worth a $25/year membership fee. Very simple, very powerful web-based application. You can try it out at no cost at
www.growveg.com

Stay tuned!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment